"Come for the games, stay for the food!"
ShoeBox Games & Cafe @ McKnight
Monday to Thursday 11 AM – 9 PM
Friday – Saturday 11 AM – 11 PM
Sunday 11 AM – 6 PM
ShoeBox Games @ Crossroads Market
Friday 9 AM – 5 PM
Saturday 9 AM – 5 PM
Sunday 9 AM – 5 PM
What does an IT guy, a bank manager, a PhD in neuroscience, a book-keeper have in common? We all can’t resist a chance to relax with our friends over a good game! Come visit Brandon, Chi, Patrick, and Alice at for a chat about one of our many vices, including Pokemon, Magic, Catan, and more.
Our goal at Shoebox Games & Cafe is to create a warm, welcoming environment for Calgarians of all ages to chilax ( Yah, that’s right, chilax 🙂 ) Whether you’re looking for a hang-out after school with your buddies, a place where you can relax with you kids, or a night out with close friends, ShoeBox Games & Cafe is the place to be. We’ll provide the games, wholesome real fruit smoothies, and addictive snacks and desserts. You can bring your family board game nights, kitchen table top adventures, and epic tournament games!
Our full retail / cafe / gaming store opened its doors in December 2016. Stop by to give us suggestions and help us shape your perfect local getaway.
We currently carry the largest selection of Pokemon Trading Card Game singles in Calgary (some would even argue Nationally!). Whether you are looking to complete a competitive deck, fill in that empty slot in your binder, or browse the latest GX and Secret Rare full art cards, we are the place to be!
Magic the Gathering is picking up at the store as well. We are fully sanctioned and focus on casual, semi-competitive events that fosters fair play and welcomes beginners. No rule-sharking here! Expect home brews, a good time, and thriving Commander and Drafting scenes.
We are recently sanctioned for Yu-Gi-oh! and boast the best singles selections in town for the game! Compete, trade, and take advantage of the most competitively priced sealed YGO products in Calgary.
TCGs aren’t or only focus. you’ll find a wide selection of Games Workshop products and Board Games as well. If we don’t carry your game, chat with our staff to learn about our Custom Order Program!
Is there something you’re looking for? We want to shape our future retail store and cafe to be your perfect getaway for games and snacks. A big screen for epic Pokkén Tournaments, a quiet corner for Go/Weichi and chess master duels, or tables set up for MTG the way you like it, let us know what you want to see!
Current weekly schedule:
- Monday 6:00 PM: Tanks League
- Tuesday 6:00 PM: Yu-Gi-oh! Sanctioned Tournament
- Wednesday 6:00 PM: Board Game Night
- Wednesday 6:00 PM: ShoeBox Warhammer League
- Thursday 6:30 PM: MTG Commander
- Friday 6:30 PM: PTCG Casual Tournament
- Saturday 1:00 PM: MTG Draft
- Saturday 6:30 PM: MTG Standard (Standard Showdown and League)
- Sunday 1:30 PM: Pokemon League (PTCG & VGC)
- Warhammer/Warmachine Tables available any morning/noon and Mon, Thurs, and Saturday evenings, or by request (Call in to reserve a spot)
(Links provided to our FaceBook events page or each event’s respective FaceBook Communities)
August 2017 Special Events:
- August 25th-27th MTG Commander 2017 Casual Customer Appreciation Event (Purchase a deck, play a 4-player pod, winner gets another!)
Check out our Facebook Events Page for details on our weekly and special event scheduling. Events are posted every Monday for the following week.
Our Event Hosting Philosophy:
Ever walk into a games store full of uber-competitive players and not know where to start? Find yourself bored and worried at the same time while your kids wade into an event full of adult players? Not at ShoeBox Games! We pride ourselves on our welcoming environment, a conscientious design that fosters sportsmanship among pro and beginner players alike.
Our planned events will run the full gamut, including a variety of weekly casual and competitive Magic the Gathering, Pokemon-centric, and Yu-Gi-oh! events. We plan to employ a tiered system when setting up our events as well, so younger kids can find kindred spirits to explore the game with, while more seasoned gamers are be matched competitively to test their skills.
If the atmosphere of the store and our employees, or the spirit of our events and tournaments feel the least bit off, shoot us a message and we’ll get right on it!
This is our tentative menu, full of delicious waffles, crepes, and home made ice creams. No longer is can pop the only option either, our whole fruit, no syrup smoothies will keep your tummy satisfied while your minds wage war and your taste buds will never want to leave. Talk to Pat to set up a taste-test evening of games and foods (we’ve had awesome reviews so far!).
(More pictures to come)
Our signature thick Belgian waffles, tweaked to your preference, perfect for dessert or a hearty meal. Choose from our light and airy Brussels waffle, or our heartier house Canadian waffle. (Ask for our dairy-free option)
The Original Strawberry Waffle | 8.00
– crispy outside, light interior, and deliciously yeasty, the original Brussels waffle – topped with whip cream, sweet condensed milk, maple syrup, and strawberries
Lumberjack’s Chicken & Waffle | 8.50
– crispy outside, hearty interior, with a hint of maple sugar, the Belgian Canadian waffle – topped with maple syrup, garlic salt and pepper, and chicken strips
Mt Waffle (Ice Cream Waffle) | 8.50
– a snowy ski-hill of a pile of waffle, with a side of mixed nuts (or strawberries) – topped with vanilla ice cream, sweet condensed milk, and maple syrup.
Fresh, house recipe crepes you won’t find anywhere else
Chocolate Hazelnut (Nutella) | 8.00
– perennial favourite and chocolaty part of your complete breakfast (or any meal you’d like!)
– chocolate hazelnut spread, crushed nuts, more chocolate hazelnut spread, topped with chocolate hazelnut spread and whip cream
Strawberry n’ Cream | 8.00
– strawberries n’ awesomeness…
– strawberries with raspberry jam, sweet condensed milk, and whipped cream
Pulled Pork | 8.50
– savoury crepe that’s meal on its own
– pulled pork, light spread of mayonnaise, garlic salt and pepper
Regular or Cheddar Smokies garnished with your choice or condiments
| 5.00 | 7.00 combo with chips and pop
No-Filler Smoothies and Lemonade
All of our fruit smoothies are made fresh with at least a full cup of whole fruits. There are no added sugars, colours, preservatives, or flavouring!
Razzy Berries Mix | 4.00
– Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries
Strawberry Kiwi Punch | 4.00
– Grapes, kiwi, strawberries
Tropical Beach | 4.00
– Peaches, Pineapples, apples, + yogourt
Soft drinks, Juices, Milk | 1.00 to 2.50
Coffee, Assorted Teas (Supplied by Coffee Concept) | 2.00
Nibbles to Share
Cup of Goodies | 5.00
– an assortment of mixed nuts, granola, gummies, and candies
– an assortment of locally made jerkies
Chips and Fresh Oven Baked Cookies | 1.50
Chocolate Bars | 2.00